Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ping Pong (and dim sum) rock!

Woohoo! Hehe... my second entry today. Hubby's playing table tennis on Xbox now... hee hee... and table tennis is what I'm gonna talk about next!

Today's really a day of ping pong for us, from morning till night! Hehe.. this morning played table tennis at home, then after lunch, we thought of heading to Orchard, but on our way there, we changed our mind and decided to stop at City Hall instead. We went to Bras Basah G&B Comics to get our weekly dose of... what else.. comics, but before that, we stopped by the shop where Hubby bought those ping pong polo tees previously. The friendly uncle at the shop was the same one who had delivered our ping pong table to our home last June. :) I hadn't intended to buy anything there... just wanted to go in to take a peek, but ended up getting a nice Donic ping pong female tee for myself. Not bad. Quite like it, and it's $25, quite reasonably priced. Then through a conversation with the uncle, we learnt that this evening, there'd be a table tennis competition held at Toa Payoh Sports Hall, and we'd get to see national players from different countries, including our own. We thought it'd be quite interesting to watch a match live, so decided to go there.

Since the match was from 6pm to 10pm, Hubby and I went to grab a bite at this dim sum place called Victor's Kitchen at Sunshine Plaza, near Middle Road and Bencoolen Street. It's just a small shop that makes fresh dim sum, not even a restaurant, but their stuff tastes really good! And hey, it's healthy too! I was surprised when I bit into a 'siew mai' and didn't find it greasy at all. In fact, it's said that the dim sum there's really healthier and fresher. Hubby told me that the boss had been a chef for over twenty years in Hong Kong, and came over to set up his own eatery. No wonder the food tastes good. Yummy yummy! :)


Victor's Kitchen is located at Sunshine Plaza #01-21, and is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10.30am to 8pm; Oooh... the first few dishes we ordered -- clockwise from top, king prawn chee cheong fun, sausage and scallop carrot cake in XO sauce (didn't know carrot cake could look like this!) and king prawn dumpling


Just couldn't get enough of the nice dim sum, so we ordered another plate of fried wantons... look how beautiful each one looks, like a rose like that. :) And the other one's steamed buns filled with char siew in oyster sauce. Yummy too! Goes down well with Chinese tea.

Next, it was time to head down to Toa Payoh Sports Hall. When we got there, we saw a poster at the entrance and I realised it was actually the Southeast Asia Table Tennis Olympic Qualifications match! Cool! The players come from Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore. If they qualify through this match, they'd be granted a direct entry into the Olympics. Wow, it can be pretty breathtaking watching these young professional players battle it out there! Hubby and I were amazed at the way they warm up, just shooting the ping pong ball back and forth in a rally at such a great speed! I really think I play like a baby after watching these people do their stuff. And it's so exciting to watch the players move so far away from the table and yet be able to smash and hit the ball onto their opponent's side. The audience always goes 'Oooh!' and 'Wah!' when that happens. Even I was alternating between cringing with anxiety and feeling 'high' as I witnessed these smash shots! Ho ho ho!


The poster at the entrance of the hall -- admission's absolutely free! Look at the setting and players... really look so pro! Now watch the video below to see what I mean about the exciting smash shots!


Man, what a day! Can't wait for tomorrow to come... although 'ashamed' to say I've got any ping pong skills at all, I'm feeling pretty motivated to play well! Maybe I've just gotta imagine I'm one of the top players in Singapore... Hehe... *Thick skinned*

No comments: